<VV> yup, It's bad

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 13:54:16 EDT 2006

Last year summer while driving home from the convention, I had an issue with
my newly rebuilt turbo engine. It was missing, and made kind of a funny
noise. I checked the compression, and the number 2 cylinder showed zero. A
few guys here on VV stated that it's probably the exhaust seat. Well, after
I finally got it apart, I can say that it's the exhaust seat, all right. How
bad is this problem normally? The seat is completely out, I think once I get
the valve spring off, the seat will just fall out. It also looks like the
piston hit the valve pretty hard. So, I have some questions.

What will I need to do to clean up the cylinder? It looks like there is a
fine spray of aluminum, both on the face of the piston, and in the
combustion chamber in the head.

Is the head salvageable? It looks like the area around the seat is missing
material where the seat has beat on it. Will the valve need to be replaced?
What else?

A couple of pictures:
Don't look at the pictures if you don't enjoy valve train wrecks.
http://www.geocities.com/giddy_up_goat/files/IM000250.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/giddy_up_goat/files/IM000245.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/giddy_up_goat/files/IM000244.JPG

Thanks for any help,