<VV> Thermister check wanted

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jul 4 15:42:25 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/4/2006 12:31:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net writes:

I'm sure  somewhere there is a test to see if a thermistor is working or not
before  installing it in a car. Probably something to do with resistance when
it is  heated. I have three of them in the stash and want to do a simple bench
check  before declaring them junk or OK to keep in the stash.

Anybody have a simple check with a multimeter and hair dryer  that I can use?
Will a simple match produce enough heat to move a  meter?

Probably a heat gun would work. If not, how about a propane torch - lightly
applied, of course. You could hold the thermistor in a vice (lightly) with the
 sender end sticking out. That should give you a reading when heated. Lew
Rishel  has a graph of the "resistance at temps" relationship. I know I have it
here but  I cannot find it this moment. - Seth