<VV> Cactus Corvair autocross update

Mark Aksamit rltrmark at cox.net
Fri Jul 7 13:16:57 EDT 2006

I recently attended the Cactus Corvair autocross up in Flagstaff AZ this past June. The course was held at the Skydome parking lot and was exactly the same as the 2002 Corsa National autocross. There were about 40 cars on Saturday and about 60 cars on Sunday. There were two Corvairs, Yes you read correctly, two Corvairs! I drove my 67 Monza 110/PG/AC  from Phoenix to Flagstaff Saturday morning and arrived at the event at 7:30. I changed my 185/80 tires for my 205/60 Yokohama AVS, got teched and got into grid by 8:45. We all got a total of 8 runs. The course was tight and favored smaller cars however the Vettes and Vipers did post impressive times! Saturday was basically a no pressure funrun session. Sunday the course was modified slightly and ran in reverse. SCCA classes were imposed and I ran my 67 in HS/ST2 and paxed at 918 and was happy with the way the car was running! The other Corvair was a a 63 coupe and was driven by a very friendly older gentleman. He had never driven an autocross before and although his times were high He had a smile on his face at the end of every run. I drove my 67 135 miles to this event made 12 runs and drove home another 135 miles in 107 degree heat with the AC blasting! The car never missed a beat and runs as good today as it did at the event! Lesson to be learned?? Corvairs can be and still are very competitive daily transportation! I recently asked for a loaner car to be used at the National Convention. I got one reply from a colleague who informed me that autocrossing Corvairs breaks them! I hope it gets wind of this post!!!!!!!!! I still need a car to drive at this years National. Please help me if you can! Looking forward to a great week!

Mark Aksamit ePro,GRI
Direct 602-723-0383
Verde Valley 928-251-5053
http://rltrmark@cox.net