Fw: <VV> Nametag List

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sat Jul 8 05:40:24 EDT 2006

Folks
I sent this one to J R off line and decided that for those of you who don't
know the evolution of the  V V name tag, an explanation is in order.

> We have had seperate nametags since 2002.
> If I wanted to meet you after years of only seeing you online, I might not
> know who you are until after the V V meeting.

In those days when V V really started to grow members, many people used a
Handle or email address only to identify themselves.

> In 99 the V V meeting was on the Schedule for Friday Nite.
I wanted to spend some time talking to  V V people that I had no idea
> what their real name was or what they looked like  until the Convention
> was almost over.
>
> A V V nametag makes it obvious that you are a V V person, and now that
> most everyone uses their real name or a version of it, you can spot our
> members at a glance.
>
> Back in 99 I was looking for a bunch of different people.  I walked by
> Matt about 300 times that week, but in those days he was PatioMatt online
> and his nametag said Lawrence Nall, who I had never heard of.   So I
> didn't realize who he was until less than 12 hours before I left.  Same
> with lots of others who only went by an E-mail handle back then.
>
> We were also sandwiched in on the schedule. Everyone wanted to sit around
> and BS after the meeting, but Corvanatics was on the Schedule behind us,
> and we all had to clear out.

When I became Chairman, I asked El Presidente
> specifically to have our meeting as the last of the evening, so everyone
> could hang out and recreate afterwards.  In 03 I brought a cooler full of
> beers, and we hung out in the room after the meeting.  In 02 we had the
> meeting in a nice tent out behind the hotel, and a bunch hung out there
> after as well.

We also wanted people who vended up until the last minute (like Seth and
Lon) to be able to make the meeting.