<VV> 67 110/pg w/AC Timing

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sat Jul 8 19:08:04 EDT 2006

One of the anomolies of a '67 110 auto w/air car is that it REALLY was
designed to run 24 degrees advance. That was back in the days when you
could get REAL high octane gas, like Sunoco 260. I still have just such
a beast (have owned it since '71), and back then that is what I ran.
Sunoco 260 and 24 degrees advance, with no ping. And even though it's a
convertable (the heaviest body style), it would blow the doors off any
other 110 auto Corvair I had, even a non-air coupe (which is much
lighter.)

BTW this combination, along with the turbo, is the only one that has the
riveted-on timing extension plate. Sounds like your car is an unmolested
stock car. Sorry I don't have the distributor number.

Nowadays you just can't get good enough gas, so I've had to back the
timing down to 16, but I still have to run the highest octane I can get.
And, no, it doesn't perform as well as it did back then, because of the
dropped timing.

-Mark