<VV> 67 110/pg w/AC Timing

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 22:52:26 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/8/2006 4:17:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
darrenvvagazio at yahoo.com writes:

> 1

I cleaned my timing marks better, however I only found the 0 to 16 marks. I
looked at the block numbers which are partially
> covered by the sheet metal. I did make out a W in the code where I should
> have an RK (I think) followed by 6 numbers. Are the last six numbers supposed
> to match my vin 6. They don't on this car. I'm not sure what engine this is?
> Probly very common. In front of the W looks like two characters First:1 or Y
> or T (?)only half visible and 2nd: 6 or 8 (bottom half) then the W. It can't
> be a WA WB or RW. I don't know what I have, but I will set my timing to
> 14BTDC.
>
> 2

I just checked and the dwell was low ~22, I got it up to 30 with a .016
gauge. Although I thought the points looked new, I
> found they might need replacing. The timing was 8 degrees.
>
> 3

In the process of this, I also found, the V.A. leaking. While it was running
I disconnected the vacuum line, the timing AND
> RPM didn't change however, when I plugged the vacuum with my finger the RPM
> dropped rather significantly.  Leaving the line open or plugged in resulted
> in the same RPM.
>
> 4

Therefore I will fix the points and dwell and set the timing to 14 degrees.
Plug my VA line and ignore it for now. I will also
> rebuild my other carb tonight.

1  Only 68-9  cars / engines had the last 4 digits of the VIN...after the
Engine # [ smaller numerals]
ALL  normal production engines start with "TO XXXX"   Tonawanda engine plant.

2   Timing always changes when you adjust points!

3   You are correct!

4 I like your idea!  I find the VA  is not good on todays gas when not
"adjusted" to NOT  pull in until at least 10" Hg  [ high speed cruise only]  This is
done by dimpling the tube end of the cannister  with a proper sized tube [
socket] approx. 1/8-  3/16"  deep.  Even most new ones will  pull in coming off
idle / low rpm......cause for ping!  I like them for Highway gas mileage
only...

Matt Nall
stocker, mod, v8, turbo, boat, Sandcar
ALLVAIR!