<VV> 67 110/pg w/AC Timing, now Fuel Pump Kits

Brown, David (San Jose) David.Brown at bsci.com
Sat Jul 8 22:53:01 EDT 2006

Joel's advice for starters is perfect-  Check the tightness, the screws
do loosen up occasionally, plus the pumps warp slightly over time.
Also, check your dipstick to make sure there is no gas smell.  If you do
need new gaskets the kits for our pumps ARE available, through:

Antique Auto Parts Cellar
PO Box 3C
South Weymouth, MA  02190
781-335-8860
800-426-7580
www.then-now.com
E-Mail: the cellar at then-now.com

They are $24.50ea (+ $7.50 shipping for 1 or more kits), so about 1/2
the price of a new pump (but maybe too expensive for our Corvair vendors
to carry?).  Plus that would give you the opportunity to check the
mating surfaces to be sure they are not warped (many are- most common
cause of failure these days), which if so, you can file them flat again.
By the way, make sure it has the "coffer dam" (center raised section on
bottom piece), so if the gasket does leak, it won't drain into the
engine.  Early pumps did not have this & should not be used.  There is
no way to tell from the outside- you have to take it apart to see it.
Since the 5 holes do not line up symmetrically, I always use some small
8" garden spikes to slip in a hole as I remove the screws.  Otherwise
lining them back up can be frustrating.  There are a lot of different
units out there, most are aftermarket.  The original ones are the light
weight aluminum.  Most aftermarket are heavy cast units weighing almost
twice as much.  One shouldn't have to crank down so hard on the screws
that they strip.  Once they do, though, the longer screws with a nut
work well.  I keep the screws on my spare with the screws backed off 1/2
turn to help eliminate warpage during storage.  I tighten them just past
snug after installation.  After a few heat cycles, I check tightness
again and adjust, if necessary.

Regards,
Dave
Corvair Houston
(running rebuilt pumps on my 3 Corvairs)