<VV> Yoke-> Diff problems

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 9 15:42:42 EDT 2006

Bet it is more like 3/8" ... Is this a late carrier?

The early diffs have a yoke which doesn't bolt into the diff carrier. I will
bet you money, you have a late carrier with what I call a gear nut, the
geared circular "nut" whose gear teeth on its perimeter engage the inside of
the side gear splines. The other side of this gear nut, with clearance,
rides on the pinion/spyder gear shaft. The center of this "nut" is threaded
for the long bolt of a LM which holds the yoke in. If this is the "case",
you can either shorten the yoke spline, drill it out 7/16th ",  or take it
apart and remove the gear nut.  Look in there and see if it looks like a
circular piece. There should be a circular shoulder which might be hard to
see, looking end on, which goes into the hole in the splined yoke.

Good Luck.

Let us know what the cause is.

Chuck S
BBRT