<VV> cylinder head removal

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 9 17:56:05 EDT 2006

Hi, Pete,

It's not unusual to have trouble getting the head free of the cylinders.
Stuff seems to grow between the cylinder and the head and lock them
together.

It's been a long time since I tried an in-the-car head removal, so I'm
working from ancestral memory.
Since you're doing the left side, you'll have to pull the oil cooler and the
piece of sheetmetal between it and the head.  The fins stick out into a
pocket in that sheetmetal.  I'm pretty sure you have to pull the heater hose
connecting shroud, too, but I might be wrong.  I'm pretty sure that on my
engine there's a stud sticking through it.

Assuming that you have all the sheetmetal around the head removed, and that
you have the pushrod tubes out, you're going to have to pry.

You can pry between the head and the cylinders with a screwdriver (that
advice will get me slapped around).  Keep in mind that the cylinder fins are
cast iron and can be broken fairly easily.
Or, probably better, you can get a 2X4 and some other wood blocks and wack
on the carb flanges and pry against the back side of the rocker area on the
bottom side.  Once you get it where it will rock back and forth, it should
come off easily.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to pull at least the long stud on the
carb.

Good luck,
  Roger