<VV> Higher Octane Fuel

Les corvair at mts.net
Sun Jul 9 18:08:08 EDT 2006

Actually, 100LL Avgas has *fewer* additives than car gas - oil companies are restricted on what can be added to avgas by FAA regulation - so no ethanol, MTBE, etc. will be found, just good 'ole tetraethyl lead. 100LL is just 'low lead' compared to higher octane avgas that used to be available (like 130 etc.) but still contains more lead than premium leaded auto gas. Your valves will love it but watch your spark plugs carefully and don't use it to wash your hands (despite how nice it smells compared to modern fuels).

Also, vapour pressure (volatility) of avgas is much lower than auto gas (wouldn't want your Cessna to vapour lock at 18,000 feet) so you may have starting problems in cold weather.

Make sure your avgas is light blue (colour coded 100LL) instead of red (coloured 80/87).

Les

Message: 9