<VV> Loopy Idle

Anil Mittal anil at anil.com
Mon Jul 10 09:17:00 EDT 2006

Hello,

  I have a 66 Monza with a 140/Powerglide and have started having a
problem with the idle. The car was not driven at all for the last
year while it was in the body shop. I have just finished putting the
car back together enough to drive the car around town. I have put
about 120 miles on the car now and things have gone from bad to worse.

  For the first 100 miles I noticed that the idle was loopy. The cold
idle was fine, but once it warmed up it would alternate between a
nice smooth idle of about 800 RPM and a very rough idle of about 400
RPM (acording to Corsa dash tach). The switch back and fourth between
speeds was random and seems to not be dependent on anything. After
100 miles it got worse, it would randomly stall at lights or stop
signs. It did not stall for the first 100 miles but now randomly
stalls.

  Off idle everything is great, no complaints there. The carbs on the
car are Grant rebuilds which are probably 2 years old and adjusted by
Jeff from the Corvair Ranch. I checked the vacuum hoses at the PG
modulator, choke pull offs, advance unit, balance tube and everything
was well connected.

  I am not sure what to check next. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Anil