<VV> Tranny shift shaft seal

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 12 23:12:50 EDT 2006

Hi Cliff,

My guess is that either the seal was nicked as it was passed over the clevis
pin hole or the small spring on the inside of the seal lip popped out of it
groove.  Good thing is, its an easy fix without major disassembly as long as
the case or shaft are not scored or damaged in some way. You may want to put
a little Ultra Copper RTV on the outer diameter of the seal before you tap
the new one in.

The only other two things that would cause it would be a damaged
transmission case around where the seal fits or a scored shift shaft.     I
had a very slow leak around the shift shaft on my van.  I tried replacing
the seal once and it continued to do it.  While I had the transmission apart
rebuilding it, I dressed the shift shaft with crocus cloth.  Hasn't leaked a
drop since.

Hope it's an easy fix.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!