<VV> Turn signal switch removal

norman.witte at comcast.net norman.witte at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 06:14:23 EDT 2006

Just a follow up as to what happened with the turn signal switch.  List members told me about the snap ring that holds the switch down that the shop manual conveniently forgot to mention.  A couple of members suggested pulling the column outward to get access to the snap ring but I could not get it to budge despite using first a box wrench and then the steering wheel to get some purchase on the thing.  I tried prying at the snap ring but couldn't get any purchase on the end of it with anything I had.  Finally, I took some needle nose pliers and bent the retainer plate that goes behind the switch, which gave me access to the screw that holds the arm in place.  Doing this I was able to replace the arm.  Unfortunately, I must have goofed something up, because the signals are messed up; the right one is on all the time with no blinking and when the left one is turned on, both blink.  The upside is that I now have hazards.  :)  I know that the problem has to be how the arm went into the
 box where the contacts are but it was too late to tear into all of that again last night, so it will have to wait for another day.

Thanks to all who responded.  I appreciate the help.
Norm