<VV> Alternator Power Distribution Block For Early

Geoffrey Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Sat Jul 15 22:12:20 EDT 2006

    I asked this question awhile back, and got some good ideas.  Had not
found a part to use though yet.  Today we went to the junkyard in search
of stuff for my AC for my '63.  While there I found a perfect
distribution block for putting an alternator in an early.  The
distribution block on the firewall of a GM full size truck.  What say
'72- whenever.  It is perfect.  Has raised walls around it to keep
things from hitting it and shorting.  I mounted one right in front of
the battery below the hood prop.  Moved the wires there.  It looks
stock!  They are extremely ubiquitous, and practically free.  Though
later  we stopped at a club members house, and he gave me an NOS '60
Buick horn relay.  It is nearly the same shape ( I had already put this
one on the car), as the GM block.  Anyway, it has a 3/8ths - 16
terminal, and the gigantic relay.  So I am going to put it in place of
the block I installed, and use the relay to drive the Idle Solenoid and
Compressor for the AC.   I found a great fan to mount on my trunk
mounted condenser.

    Another cool thing, while we were cruising around in my '63 a guy
pulls up at a stop light, and says hey there is one of those at my
shop.... etc.... You know, what always turns out to be a beat up rusted
out early sedan :-P .  Well we were just hanging out looking for parts,
cruising around so we figured lets check it out.  Anyway, we get kind of
confused looking for the place, and look behind a shop and see a GT-40
Kit car with Vair power!  Looked pretty cool.  Will try to check it out
sometime.  The Vair  which we found a few blocks away, was a '64 coupe,
not in bad shape at all, but like I need another one of those!

-Geoff Johnson