<VV> Re: Convention Sightseeing - stuff a bit East (was Buffalo Sightseeing Locations...)

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sat Jul 15 22:38:29 EDT 2006

Sounds like someone wants to visit the Corning Glass Works.
I went there when I was a kid, it was really something else.

Anyway, From Buffalo Take I-90 East (NYS THRUWAY) to
Batavia exit. T/L at the Light after you pay your toll at the exit  Ramp and
go into town.

At NY RT 5, T/L and head east thru the town. When you're about 3 miles into
town you'll bear right onto NY HWY 63, Which will take you into farm
country, thru East Bethany and Pavilion. You will T/R and go south on NY HWY
36 in the town of Warsaw, follow the signs for Mount Morris/Letchworth State
Park. In the Town of Mt Morris you'll see a sign to turn left--almost in the
center of town, and a short road will take you to I-390. Go South on I-390
and you'll be in the town of Corning in about an hour. Total Time from
Buffalo, about 2 hrs 15 minutes.  Plenty of signs once you get to Corning to
get to the Glass Works.

Of course you'll drive a lot further and see a lot less if you just continue
on the Interstate East past Batavia and take I-390 South from the interstate
to Corning.

If you need maps let me know, I'll bring one from the net that shows the
route pretty well.

I took that route many times to get on US 15 in Painted Post, continue into
PA and take the Appalachian Hwy to Williamsport,  Harrisburg, Gettysburg and
into MD to get to Virginia when I lived in VA Beach.  I'ts really the only
way to get from Buffalo to Northern VA.

Hank