<VV> Buffalo sightseeing locations

Jeff Clark markii56 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 23:24:03 EDT 2006

Wayne-

Take I-90 east (New York State Thruway) out of
Buffalo, and get off at exit 42, Geneva.  Head south
on 14 into the city, then east a bit on 5&20, and pick
up 96A south.  Route 96A is a nice road from Geneva
down the east side of Seneca Lake, and very scenic.
(I-390 really takes you way out of the way, with
little to see.)  If you stop at all the wineries along
the way, it will take you a week to get to Watkins
Glen!  Then take Route 14 north along the west side of
the lake, back to Geneva, and follow routes 5 and 20
west into Canandaigua, considered one of the prettiest
small cities in America.  Take 332 north out of
Canandaigua for about 7 miles, then turn left on to 96
north.  Follow it through Victor, Bushnell's Basin
(Richardson's Canal House Inn is a great place for a
special meal, right on the Erie Canal), and Pittsford,
and if you stay on 96 it becomes East Ave into
Rochester, and you'll drive right by the George
Eastman House and the International Museum of
Photography.  Two musts when in Rochester: the Eastman
House, and a Wegmans Supermarket, preferably the one
in Pittsford on Monroe Ave (route 31).  Until you've
seen a Wegmans, you don't know what supermarkets are
all about!

There's a lot to see along these routes I've given
you, so take your time and enjoy them.  The Finger
Lakes region of New York State is one of our best-kept
secrets, and we like it that way.  We only share it
with people we like, and the tourist promotion of the
area is deliberately kept low-key.  I grew up at the
east end, and now live on the west end of this region.
 During our brief but hot summers, it still remains
for me one of the most beautiful places in America.

Jeff Clark