Fwd: <VV> FC Engines - Harmonic Balancer or not? No tires.

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 10:39:39 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/18/2006 10:20:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
aircooled6 at prodigy.net writes:

> The main issue is: I have an early type a/c pulley that is cast as part of
> the crank pulley.  I had never seen one of these before.  I plan to use it if
> the potential for engine damage is unlikely.  Im thinking that the revs
> never get into that high performance vibration creating area that a 110 in a car
> might.

All 110 engines required the harmonic balancer.  I'm sure you will be able to
scare up the AC compressor pulley that is bolted to the harmonic balancer.
Someone who has successfully done an AC FC conversion should be able to tell
you about any clearance issues.  But stick with the harmonic balancer--with AC
that engine is going to be working hard.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa