<VV> Ultra clutch setup

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Jul 21 00:16:20 EDT 2006

Bryan Blackwell wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm putting a basement fresh engine in the parts Corsa, and am digging
> through my stash for an "Ultra" clutch.  I have a fairly new friction
> disk, a bolted used flywheel, and a decent looking pressure plate.  A
> few questions:
>
>  - The recent article in the Communique mentions factory alignment
> marks.  Should I look for these, or does it not matter since the parts
> weren't a set from the factory?  Any thoughts on matching the two for
> best balance?

I had a local shop balance my rebolted flywheels and trusted the
pressure plate reamined balanced. :-) gggg

>  - Both the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces look ok but used.
> Should I do any surface prep besides cleaning with Brake Cleaner
> before assembly - say wire brush or ScotchBrite pad or such?

I used a DA sander to remove the glaze from flywheels and pressure
plates. 80 grit typically to start and then whatever left a good look to
the surface. I have used a 5" grinder, but trying to keep the surface
flat is difficult. :-)  But it can remove heavy rust...

>  - I am replacing the pilot bushing and input shaft seal with new.  Is
> it ok to spread the split ring a bit to get a tight fit in the diff
> snout?

This is SOP for me.

> Thanks for any input.  My oldest (age 15) is cleaning the shrouds and
> gets to pick the colors, so it may be a colorful engine compartment :-)

Careful, next he will want to drive!

Frank DuVal