<VV> Hard Luck (long ... delete keys ready ...)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 22 01:28:57 EDT 2006

I nominate Smitty Smith for the Corsa Hard Luck Lifetime Achievement
Award.  He certainly seems to desereve (sic deserve) it.

mike

I'm hot on his heels.

Resurrection (after my *&^%$#@ brother sabotaged the engine by pouring
water into a perfectly running engine)
Rebuild II (after the rebuild performed by a Corvair enthusiast lost
the #3 rod bearing after 30 miles - I worked side by side with him
every step of the way, but hadn't a clue as to what to look for as it
was my first engine rebuild of any kind)
Teardown III (after tiny bits of the original bearing and crank from
the failure showed up in the oil after the oil pressure test)

Have purchased four sets of lifters (one - 30 miles) (one - zero miles,
contaminated by the latent debris) (one - never installed, opted for
deep dimple after purchase) (one - deep dimple)
Three complete sets of engine gaskets (one - 30 miles) (one -zero
miles) (one - waiting to be installed)
Two sets of moly rings (one - 30 miles) (one -zero miles)
A set of case bolts (long story)
Two sets of jugs (one - scared beyond repair) (one - waiting to be
installed)
Used standard diameter 140 nitrated crank
Contemplating changing the cam (original ran fine for the thirty miles
that I used it after the original rebuild, but I figured I'm this far
into it, why not get a GOOD new cam and gear for the expensive lifters)
and a blower bearing replacement

BTW I've lost count on how many times (I estimate around seven) I've
assembled and taken apart the case halves in order to get a correct
reading on the plastigage because of unreliable torque wrenches (have
three now - only one that I trust).  I spent a whole day trying to
remove a headless valve cover bolt and the ensuing busted extractor.

This is in addition to Grant carbs, Flamethrower coil, Silicon plug
wires, complete brake overhaul including dual reservoir, pitman arm,
ultimate gas tank kit and red cote - including spraying under the tank
with a sound insulating paint, complete weather stripping kit, powder
coating of the engine covers, Noah cover, new tires, battery (now
probably trash) and all for a car that was in very good condition other
than the engine (except for the typical storage issues that happen with
any car stored for eight years) when I took possession of it in '00.

Please, at least an honorable mention.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (Teardown III after an oil
pressure check determines that there is still debris from the first
meltdown present in the engine)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper
guards, w/ 77K (and continuing to hold)
(Still in group red, light at the end of the tunnel that seemingly
keeps backing away as I attempt to get closer)   : I