<VV> Clutch Trouble in Twinsburg

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 22 13:10:16 EDT 2006

Going 'clutch-less' can be done. Back when I was in college in N. Hampshire, (1960) I drove a friends '51 Chevy all the way from NH  to Brooklyn NY without using the clutch, as it was inoperative.

   It takes looking far ahead and anticipating gear changes well before you get stuck.

Padgett <pp2 at 6007.us> wrote:
  BTW it is possible to drive a very long distance with a clutch locked in
gear. It does take a well-tuned engine and a tip-top battery. Shift to
neutral and turn off the engine coming to a stop. Put in first and use the
starter to get going. Upshifts need to be relatively quick and in the
following manner: pull back to neutral then take foot off gas, wait for the
revs to drop a bit and put in next gear. With a little practive it can
become second nature just do not try to force it. Gentle works.

Once you get proficient, downshifts are possible: with foot on gas pull
back to neutral. Rev engine and slip into lower gear.

In both cases you give it a little gas while shifting from a gear into
neutral. If you take your foot off the gas first, the assembly will bind in
gear.

That and taking care to avoid as many stops as possible will get you almost
anywhere. I've use the same technique to get a slipping clutch home before.

Padgett

MIKE KOVACS