<VV> Chronic "Overheating"!

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Sun Jul 30 10:00:25 EDT 2006

Gots a problem and I need some more experienced help.  The 67 started
getting an "overheat" light on the way home from Buffalo on the Throughway.
Yes, it was hotter than a Jalapeno fart on the way home, and the speeds were
up there (70-75), but nothing seemed wrong other than the light.  I've had a
Vair that actually DID overheat and by golly, you knew it even before the
light popped on (oil sizzling, "pinging", "hot oil" smell, etc).  None of
that in this instance....she was just cruising along just fine, and out of
nowhere, the light pops on!  Goes off awfully quick too after you stop for a
couple of minutes......and may not come on again.

Timing is fine, the gas appears to be fine, the shrouds were pulled to look
for FOD-clean, the belt is properly adjusted.  I'm suspecting a funky
thermister is giving me a false-positive, but I just don't know if this is a
"normal" failure-mode, or if I really do have an engine cooking at high
speed.

Thanks!

John Kepler
67 Monza Convertible