<VV> BTW - My Corvair is Great!

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Mon Jul 31 01:03:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/30/2006 9:34:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mhicks130 at cox.net writes:

> I drove my '65 Monza convertible from Seaford VA to Buffalo NY and back and
> you know what?  It ran great.  It ran, and I mean this as a sincere
> compliment, like a Honda.  When I drove my Honda minivan to Kansas a couple years
> ago, I didn't even worry about it.  It drove like a refrigerator - no problems.
> Well I started my trip with the Corvair with apprehension - after all, it is
> a 41 year old car.  But it too ran like a refrigerator.  We were passing
> cars going up the steep grades and going a little too fast coming down.  It just
> ran and ran and didn't give me one bit of a problem.  I almost stopped
> worrying at one point.  What a car.  I'm going to go out and give it a big hug and
> a kiss!!  Maybe I'll drive it to California in 2008!!!  err, maybe not.
> They got these big flying gizmos for trips that long.
>
> mike
> Virginia is for (Corvair) Lovers - like me!

Mike,  if you'd been around in 99  you'd remember my Immortal
Vair........drove it Today!

Out of a wrecking yard....hodgepodge of parts.....110 cyl. head with
thermister hole drilled INTO  the chamber....6 different makers of sparkplugs  [ to
settle a discussion ]  ALL  but mech fuelpump]USED PARTS....$250 paintjob....$35
worth of Aluminum mags and tires....3.89 geared!

600 miles up through L A  and over the Sierras [ Monitor Pass / 8800 ft] and
it was over 100 until the Tahoe basin was in sight...No spares...tools...just
a jack and tire...and yes I drove up with friends with tools and  another
car....but they took ill and left early...

All alone...Sat PM after the AX....down Hwy 395 [ 3 very steep passes]  into
the Desert..........spent the night at  China Lake NWS [ Ridgecrest]  and then
home by noon on Sun.....  2.5 qt's oil......[ 4200 rpm at 80mph]  and a high
on ONE tankful of 33mpg.....436 miles!

Only swapped powerpacks after getting  an Ed Corsen built 110 / 3.08 pack [
40 mpg in the 1980 Conv.] that had set under a pepper tree for 15 yrs..
http://members.aol.com/PatioMatt/

No fear!

Matt Nall
stocker, mod, v8, turbo, boat, Sandcar