<VV> Convention 2 (opinion)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 31 10:12:02 EDT 2006

Smitty Smith writes:
" In that post I mentioned that one of my friends had a hard time
getting a pass to park his Corvair on hotel property.  When he checked
out he found that they had added $6 a day to his bill for parking.
Folks, that is absolutely a pile of crap that one who stays at a hotel
should not have a place to park his car on the premises without
additional charge."

VV'ers, Corvair enthusiasts, and conventioneers,

I need to lead off by stating that I did not attend the convention.

When my wife, son, and I went to California (Newport Beach) this summer
we stayed at a five star (Fairmont) hotel.  The parking arrangements
were that if you could secure one of the approximately twenty free
spaces (marked with a green curb) out front, you parked for  ...
well... free.  If not, then you had to pay for valet parking ... $15
(plus tip if you were so inclined or didn't want to feel like a
cheapskate).  To make a long story short, I used the adjacent bank
parking lot during the weekend (free), found a free space (green curb)
three times, and paid the valet fee (plus tip) twice.  I know the value
of a buck, and I hate to pay any more than is necessary, but the hotel
policy wasn't the fault of the kids who were parking my car.  I did
give the desk attendant the "look" when I was told of the fees involved
with the parking, I figured that would suffice to let them know my
displeasure, anything else would have gained me nothing more.  The only
way to beat this type of policy is to express our displeasure with the
hotel MANAGEMENT in writing, and or take our business elsewhere.

I often go to Mexico with my Mexican wife.  Her family lives in a
quaint little village in the central highlands called Santiago
Maravatio, Guanajuato.  I always am the most polite and friendly that I
can be when I'm there, as I figure that I will be the only American
that most of the people of the village will ever meet or have a
conversation with.  I feel like I'm representing my country when I'm
there.

MPO, but I believe the same holds true for our sport.  The people of
Buffalo will probably never meet a Corvair owner again.  They form
their impression of us, and pass on that impression to whomever they
talk to, from the people they interacted with during the convention.
With that in mind, it only makes sense that we should be the most
polite and friendly that we can be in order to leave a good impression
of the Corvair community with those whom we interact.

Flame suit on,

Stephen U

(any privately sent flaming is likely to end up on the vv  -  timely
notice)