<VV> Spark Plug gap for Pertronix II and Flamethrower II coil

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Jul 31 15:52:46 EDT 2006

Hi Tom,
I would first get it running correctly at the stock gap and THEN open the gap up.  The reason for this is that on my Greenbrier with Pertronix I, Flamethrower I coil, and Safeguard ignition system, I installed my favorite plugs, Bosch 7502s, and opened the gap up to about 0.040 and it did not idle right.  Since everyone said that should work fine, I fiddled with the carbs, etc.  It had Seth's wires, etc., but still had an irritating miss at idle.  FINALLY, I broke down and dropped the gap back to stock and GUESS WHAT?  The idle was perfect.  So, while I don't know what was causing the miss, setting the plug gap to stock worked for that engine.  So my strong recommendation is to get it running at stock settings, THEN open up the spark plug gap and see if it still works fine.  Otherwise you might spend a lot of wasted time.

Larry