<VV> Convention Thoughts

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Mon Jul 31 15:44:24 EDT 2006

Jeff,

I didn't attend the Buffalo convention, so I'm neutral in that respect.
You used the term "staggering amount of work".  Having organized similar
events, I know that's no exaggeration.  My thought would be to reduce
the amount of "stagger" by reducing the scope of the convention.  I know
that would not be popular with some folks, but others might find it
attractive (me).  Better to reduce the scope than to make the workload
so high that no one want's to take it on in the future.

Personally, I'd like more emphasis on the cars, the car people, and
car-related events with less (or none) on "family tours".  This will
likely change the demographics of a convention, but perhaps for the
good.

One of the things that have always bugged me about Corvair conventions
is the lack of regard for the cars.  They're almost always relegated to
being mixed in with the general car population.  That may be okay for
the "frugals" driving cars held together with bailing wire and chewing
gum, but there are also a lot of nice cars as evidenced by the increase
in the number of trailered cars.

Last year I attended the National Nova convention and really liked their
approach.  Everyone who registered also registered the Nova(s) they were
bringing.  There was a large lot at the hotel set aside exclusively for
these cars and everyone had a numbered space.  The area was roped off
and supervised during the day and guarded at night.  This did a number
of very nice things:
  -- Cars were safer than in a lot used by everyone.
  -- The numbering system and roster let you put cars together with
people.
  -- The lot became sort of an ongoing car show with people hanging out
in the lot to bs and talk cars.
  -- The lot was the focus of a number of events including a talk on
Yenko Novas, a talk and personal appearance by Helen Gibb (widow of Fred
Gibb of COPO Nova fame) with her COPO Nova, etc.

Maybe it's time to downsize and re-focus the convention.

Dave Keillor