<VV> 17" wheels on a late

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 09:40:42 EDT 2006

John, I have seen 17" wheels on a late and they looked great (at an HSR race
no less - but the care was just a visitor.) I strongly suggest that you find
someone with the tires already on a car and find out what they used.  Someone
suggested a 205/50-17 or a 215/45-17 -which might be fine but unless you hear
from someone who actually runs the size, I'd be cautious.

Why do I say this?  While 205's work well in a 60 series 15" rim, the 205/215
number is the section-width, NOT the tread-width and as the sidewall gets
shorter (50, 45), the tread-width gets wider (the tire gets less trapezoidal).
The profile and tread-width below the (section-width) "bulge" is undimensioned,
unregulated and varies widely.

For example, two of my Corvairs have identically "sized" 205/60-15 tires from
major manufacturers and all eight tires are mounted on identical rims.  One
set (Michelins) is much too large rubs all over the place. The other set
(Coopers) is just right and this is solely due to the Coopers having more of a
trapezoidal shape below the "bulge".  The 50 and 45 profiles suggested will have
much wider tread than the 205/60's that I have. My experience with my 205's
makes me think that and even-more square 205/50 or 215/45 will rub the w/o mldg
and the pointy corner inside the lower front apron.

I suggest that you find a car that's actually running 17s and find out what
they have for tire sizes.  Please let us know what actual sizes you come up
with!
Thanks Craig Nicol