<VV> Backspacing Question, Is 3 3/8 enough?

Dan Roraff corvair at bevcomm.net
Thu Jun 1 15:29:11 EDT 2006

Hi,
I've been thinking of getting new wheels for my 65 Corvair.  The wheels I want are Cragar SS's, 15x6.  I like the styling and the price isn't too bad.  The original 13 inchers came with 4 1/8 inch backspace. The Cragars come with 3 3/8 inch backspace.  From my research I've found that you should stay as close as possible to the original backspace.

My question: is 3 3/8 inches close enough?  Will I get bump steer, and destroy my wheel bearings or have other problems?

Thanks,
65 Monza Convertible
Dan