<VV>Backspacing

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jun 1 17:54:26 EDT 2006

>  The original 13 inchers came with 4 1/8 inch backspace. The Cragars come
> with 3 3/8 inch backspace.  From my research I've found that you should
> stay as close as possible to the original backspace.

Depends on the tire size. I replaced the 13" wheels with 14x6 Snowflakes on
the front that measure 3 1/2" backspacing (at least today and with tape
measure). 195x70x14s are the biggest tire that will fit. As you decrease
the backspacing you increase the arc of the tire as you turn the wheel and
on mine the closest point is one turn of the stock steering from straight
ahead. Whether there is any clearance or not seems to depend on the
alignment and positioning of the front crossmember.

Aftermarket manufacturers go for the lowest backspacing to increase inside
clearance (fits more cars with the same casting). Factory wheels reduced
the backspacing a bit after disk brakes became popular to clear the calipers.

Mine feels fine though the steering effort seems to have increased slightly
(again a matter of increased arc radius).

There does not seem to be any problem in the rear of a LM but in front a
24.5" diameter tire seems to be about it.

Padgett