<VV> Valve Rotators

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Thu Jun 1 22:52:06 EDT 2006

An exhaust valve rotator is much like its name suggests.  It spins the
exhaust valve by a tiny bit each time it is lifted, to keep debris and hot
spots from developing, and to
maintain a smooth valve face wear pattern.  I.E. reduce burned valves.
I imagine they were more needed when there was crud in the gas, namely
lead <GGG>.  They were
commonly used used on stressed and stationary engines.  This is why
Chevrolet used them
on FC engines.  There were different methods used through the years by
various manufactureres for various engines.   One
that simply let
the valve "float" rotationally when lifted, positive ones that actually
rotated the valve a little bit when lifted (what the corvair used), and
offset rockers, like VW used which made
the rocker "wipe" across at a slight angle to the valve to make it rotate
a touch.  I have run them over the years more for novelty then anything.
They fit in place of the usual spring keeper.
They do add weight to the valve train, and theoretically can increase
valve face and seat wear, but I doubt by much.  Therefore they are not
common in high output, high revving applications.
If you look at the tip of any properly functioning valve, you should see
slight pollished annular rings from the valve spinning on its own slightly
in operation.
-Geoff Johnson