<VV> Vapor Lock?

Keith Onchuck keitho64 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 23:08:44 EDT 2006

I experienced a strange problem while out in the
Corvair this weekend.  I drove the car about 30 miles
at 60-70 then made my way into stop and go traffic.
After sitting at a light I took off when the light
went green.  The car started to sputter, spit, back
fire and also pop in the muffler.  If I feathered the
throttle and managed to get the RPM up, it would take
off fine.  After that I could cruise at 60 with no
problem.  I could accelerate from this speed without
issue.  If got stopped by another red light, the whole
problem would start over.  I decided to pull over and
shut the car off for 1 hour.  After that I drove home
just fine.

It was 80+ outside and the motor seemed hot, but not
overheating.  Does this sound like a vapor lock issue?

Keith