<VV> Re: hey, my car won't start

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Fri Jun 2 19:44:19 EDT 2006

> -----------------------------
>   Smitty says:  Either it is the valve rotators or possible you have a poor connection at one of your battery posts.  Can carry the current for accessorys but not the starter.

Are you sure Smitty?  It could be old gas!!  Or bad karma from my "F Nader" bumper sticker....

The starter appears to be working again now.  It may have been overheating this morning from over-use?  Anyway it cranks fine now but no starty.  One of you experts suggested running a wire directly from the battery to the + side of the coil.  That kind of worked!  It started an ran for a few seconds but then died again.  Cranking now produces an occasional cough but no running.   I haven't checked fuel delivery yet - that takes a helper.  BTW, the little light in the dash glows like crazy when you hook a wire directly to the coil like that. :)

It's supposed to be rainy tomorrow but sometime this weekend I'll check the points and etc - I may just replace them with the new ones I have waiting around.  And I'll get the voltmeter out and see who's getting what.  On top of checking the fuel delivery of course.

I once knew a guy (a fellow engineer embarissingly enough) who told us he needed to change his CV joints because his car would't start.  Maybe I need to change my CV joints.  Of course I'll have to find 'em first.

mike