<VV> squeak - more info

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Jun 4 20:02:41 EDT 2006

I jacked the car up today to see if I could figure anything new out about the squeak I'm having from the right rear.  I could feel "crunchiness" as I rotated the wheel and could here what sounded like the brake springs "sproinging".  It then went away and didnt come back.  I took the drum off and everything looks fine in the brake mechanism.  I put it all together and took it for a drive.  The squeak came back and again it was intermittent.  I gave the car a quick swerve and the noise got louder and quickly went away.  I tried a simulated panic stop to see how the brakes behaved and they did great.  No pulling, no noise and we stopped fine.  On the way back as I turned left onto my road, it made a big "crunch" sound and almost sounded like something metal broke off and dragged on the road for a second.  Then nothing.  I got home, jacked it up and the wheel was spinning with no "crunchiness".  I felt the u-joint near the wheel and it was hot.  The hub and the drum were hot too.  So is the bearing heating up the joint and drum or are the brakes goofy and heating up the drum, hub and joint?  I don't know!!!  This is driving me nuts.  I don't want to take it anywhere until I figure out what it is.  I'm almost tempted to just start replacing parts but I really hate throwing parts (and money) at a problem.  If it's the bearing, why is it intermittent?  If it's the brakes, why do they work so good?

Help me Mr. Wizard!!