<VV> Squeaking Wheel

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jun 5 03:09:45 EDT 2006

At 07:14 hours 06/04/2006, Smitty Smith wrote:

>     Subject: squeak - more info
>I jacked the car up today to see if I could figure anything new out
>about the squeak I'm having from the right rear.
>   ---------------------Big Snip-------------------
>    I'm almost tempted to just start replacing parts but I really
> hate throwing parts (and money) at a problem. If it's the bearing,
> why is it intermittent? If it's the brakes, why do they work so good?
>Help me Mr. Wizard!!
>   Mr Wizard Says:  Give up mike.  The car is 40 years old and so is
> the grease in the wheel bearings.  Even if the bearings are good
> (which they aren't) it is about time you greased them.  Smitty

I was gonna stay quiet since everyone had good
suggestions.   Evidently no help this instance.

Smitty has a point.    The '65 Corsa ragtop here began exhibiting an
intermittent squeak from the rear.   I checked U-joints etc.   I
checked suspension.  I checked the rear bearings by running the car
in gear, wheels elevated.   Diddly.   Then I had somebody ride
alongside the car in another vehicle hanging out the window and
listening; intermittent squeak returned and he said it sounded like a
wheel bearing issue.

I accosted the rear wheel bearings with grease.    The intermittent
squeak disappeared, never came back, that was over a decade ago.

tony..