<VV> Fwd: valve noise

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Jun 5 15:15:34 EDT 2006

"...Thanks for all the help. It is proof positive that the previous  negative
message regarding Corvair owners is incorrect.
The  noise is gone,but the performance is less. I retarded the timing to 12
degrees.  This solved the noise,but the car would stall out at idle,so then
increased the  idle speed. Better but still sluggish,so "fiddled" with mixture.
Some  improvement. Then tried various point gaps. Ran best at .0012. Still not
where  it was. Any ideas?
Thanks.      Rookie Corvair  Owner      Pete ..."

Best Fix: reduce the head quench space to .032 (see Corvair technical
guide). Had similar problems with my 67, 110, factory A/C, powerglide; reworked
heads to reduce the quench and problems are history. Also using a Safeguard
electronic knock sensing device to automatically and selectively retard the
timing (See: _http://www.american-pi.com/safeguard/safeguard2.html_
(http://www.american-pi.com/safeguard/safeguard2.html)  ).  I run 18-degrees initial advance
with stock distributor curve and # 52  jets; presently, with the ambient temp
in the upper 80s to 90, with A/C on  full, get just an occasional, slight ping
(which the Safeguard sees; light  up one knock indicator LED before the knock
is clipped). Zip is good, and on a  recent trip averaged 23 MPG with speeds @
70 and higher. Presently experimenting  with leaning out the mid-range to
improve the mileage further.

Mike Mauro
with no knocks in hot, sunny, Florida