<VV> Dry Falls?

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Jun 5 15:40:18 EDT 2006

Chuck
True that it was done.
For those that are interested:
A Cofferdam was created between the US Shore and Goat Island, that allowed the river to run fully over the Canadian side.

THIS WAS NOT DONE ONLY DURING TOURIST SEASON.  Work started as soon as there was no ice going over. The Niagara Mohawk Power Company and Ontario Hydro both kept their water intakes (about 1.5 Miles above Goat Island) open full 24/7 to cut down on the water going over.  Normally the flow is higher over the Falls in the daytime to keep it pretty for the Tourists. Late at night the flow is much reduced.

Since scientists had no idea what effect the rock bed of the American Rapids and the face of the falls would have to being dry for the first time in approximately 100,000 years, an intricate system of pipes and spray nozzles was used to keep the rock surfaces moist 24/7.

Tons of rock debris (result of the falls water washing away the limestone underpinning of the falls, until the hard dolomite top layer breaks away from no support) was removed. Additional debris from a landslide near the Prospect Point Observation tower from 1962, as well as the collapse of the Schoellkopf Power Station into the gorge in 1957 was cleaned up as well.

 Paleontologists and Geologists were all over the face and base of the falls during the clean-up.  The mess has returned at the base of the Falls, but the experts now know why it happens, and not much can be done about it.

In approximately 100,000 years, Niagara Falls will be in Buffalo--according to the experts.  It's present location is aprox. 12 miles from where the escarpment that the water flows over began.

I'd doubt that Sarah made the joke---1.not knowing it had been done before, or 2.doing it on purpose to sabotage the Tours.

 When I read it I thought they might be doing it again.  Certainly possible.

I have pictures of my father, my brother and myself standing just below the Goat Island bridge, standing on slick rock where the rapids pound through now.

You can see pictures of the dry-up at the Niagara Power Vista. If it's not on the tour, it should be.

Hank