<VV> Leg update... little Corvair.... rather long

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 08:36:53 EDT 2006

Hey guys and gals,
I just wanted to share a little good news I got yesterday. Monday I had to
drive to Louisville for my leg doctor visit, just so he could take x-rays and
feel around and twist it up and down, so Maggie (my youngest daughter, age 13)
 and I took off around 9:30 to leisurely drive the 60 some-odd miles and make
a  stop or two along the way. (FYI, Sarah, my 15 year old, is with Cheryl's
parents  in Myrtle Beach for vacation)

We stopped in Elizabethtown to get a bite for breakfast, and then wash the
69 Monza... white cars show dirt almost as badly as black cars!... and then to
Louisville.... we were getting close to my mom's place when I asked Maggie if
 she wanted to go "hang with granny" and she said "Sure".... anything beats
sitting in a stuffy Dr's office... so I called Mom first, to make sure she was
 home, and drove back to Mom's and dumped Maggie out...

About 4 miles before the exit to go to Mom's the 5 inch long tailpipe I had
installed 2 weeks ago on the new muffler fell off, and thankfully rolled off
to  the side of the road, but I wasn't about to stop and retrieve it... so I
stopped  at the AZ close to Mom's and picked up a replacement.... $3 and I was
back on my  way.... I shoved the pipe into the muffler and then used the clamp
that I had  neglected to use earlier.... that little bugger isn't going
ANYWHERE!
;-)
Once at the Dr's office the X-ray lady (a tall, pretty, mid-40s red head
with a very warm smile and wonderful personality) took 6 different views and
then I waited in the little room for the Doc. About 10 minutes later he popped
in, all smiles (he always is, great guy) and asked how I was doing... and he
commented on my "new appearence"... (for those of you who know me and have seen
 me, I normally keep my hair rather short, usually in a flat top or
something...  well, I've not gotten a haircut since last July, and I've not shaved my
chin  since January, so now I have shoulder length hair and a 4 inch goatee...
much to  Cheryl's dismay... add that to my 6' 7" 360# frame and if I didn't
smile so damn  much people might consider me a force to be reckoned with!)...
the Dr said  "That's a look you can pull off rather well, better than I
could"... like I  said, he's a great guy....
He looked at the x-rays and said all is healing nicely... I asked him about
the pain early in the morning and then towards evening, almost reminds me of
the  stress fractures in my heel from 10 years ago... he said stretching
exercises  would help that, since my Achilles tendon is "tighter than a banjo
string"  according to the Dr... He said to keep up the good work and come back in 4
months...

On the way back to Mom's noticed the 69 was pinging just a little, and made
a note to myself to remove the turkey roaster and make sure it wasn't filled
with stuff... looks like Wednesday is my best chance for that, after Maggie's
Dentist appt.... After spending about 2 hours at Mom's Maggie asked if
Desirae,  my 14 year old niece whom my mother has been raising for 5 years now,
could come  home with us for the rest of the week... I didn't mind, since she's a
well  behaved kid and she's willing to work outside and get her hands dirty...
so I  left with an extra kid in the car, and more fresh veggies than we'll
eat in a  month... and we made our way to Lowe's in E-town to return a staple
gun I'd  bought Saturday (a piece of crap is what it is)...

Once at Lowe's I let the girls stay in the car and took the POS staple gun
inside... the lady asked "How is it defective?" and I showed her... I loaded it
 up, shot a staple and then it would open up and unload itself... I said "You
 should have seen me working on the chicken pen last night"... thump...
"crap!".... thump... "damn".... thump.... "crap".... she started laughing and
couldn't stop. The staple gun was a "Powershot 5700", and it's built backwards,
with the squeeze part over the staple, just backwards of your typical "Arrow"
type stapler... I told her it sounded good in theory, but it was like
Communism... looks good on paper, but it just doesn't work... I got store credit
and then bought the Arrow I was going to buy in the first place... $5 more and I
 was out the door. Cheryl had called my while I was inside, so she stopped
and  picked up the kids on her way heading towards home, so my passengers were
gone  when I got outside...

Once out to the car I decided I'd check the pipe and make sure nothing else
was wrong... I wanted to check on the extra exhaust noise I'd heard.... sure
enough, I checked the nuts and one was loose... I grab the 9/16 wrench and lay
 down on the pavement, and I see a pair of feet stop at the car, along with
another pair... "Honey, remember when we had that green one, right after Jimmy
 got out of high school"..."Yes, I remember... you drove that car
everywhere"....  I finished up underneath and got up, and there was this wonderful
couple,  really close to 80, if not older. He said "I'm sorry to bother you, but I
just  had to stop and look"...I think my looks might have startled him, and I
told him he wasn't a bother at all, that I love talking about these cars....
so  I sat on the deck lid and talked with them for almost 15 minutes... a sweet
 couple... he'd originally bought a 1960 in 62, then a 64 after the 60 was
hit,  and then a 67... he said he'd wanted a 69 when they came out, but he just
couldn't afford it.... They really made my day...

The ride home was nice.... just me and the car.... I love these  Corvairs!
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson  in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Ky  Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg
1963  Greenbrier 110/4spd
1964 700 sedan 95/pg