<VV> Re: Oil pressure guage

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jun 6 17:52:12 EDT 2006

>  So, one
>counter guy convinced me to get another 6 foot hunk, and a fitting to
>splice the two together, and convinced me that would be swell. Well,
>sure, but THAT"S not long enough either!

Problem with that nylon tubing is the respose time is soooo sloooow even
with a foot of tubing, I shudder to thing what it would be like with 12
feet (I know, incompressible but the tubing is expandable).

Back in my B/P daze I had an oil pressure guage mounted on the cowl in
front of the windscreen and connected to the engine with a short piece of
3/8 O.D. tubing - at idle I could see the lobes on the pump come around
(racing career was code red for six months when I missed the stock guage
going to zero and all the smoke in the world entered the cockpit when I
backed off across the finish line. Wnated to make sure that never happened
again)

Am slowly learning to just ignore oil pressure - as long as there is some
you are OK and the idiot light will tell you that. I did install a
mechanical gauge on an adapt-a-bolt directly on top of the oil filter
mostly because I had one. Now if I have a pressure-related anxiety attack I
can just stop, get out, open the hood, and verify that some is there.

Padgett