<VV> Re: PLASTIC TUBING FOR OIL GAUGE

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Wed Jun 7 10:33:00 EDT 2006

Since the subject of using a mechanical oil guage in a Corvair has come
up, let me relate my own experience with one. First off, by its very
nature, the tubing is going to be really long. This means that the
guage's response to sudden changes in oil pressure will be slowed. This
makes for a very real possibility of lunching your engine before the oil
guage has time enough to respond and warn you of impending doom.
Secondly, this is even MORE possible as the system ages, and the tubing
becomes restricted with deposits. And finally, what happens should the
tubing at some point fail? If the failure point is within the passenger
compartment, things could get very ugly very fast indeed.

My recommendation is to only use an electrical oil guage in a Corvair,
NEVER a mechanical one.

Just some of my observations. Don't ask how I know. (G)

-Mark