<VV> Re Sales Tax on titles

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jun 7 20:11:38 EDT 2006

Bill:

Does your son still live in Virginia? Most jurisdictions I have lived in
here in VA only charge personal property tax on the vehicles you own on
a certain date, typically December 31st. So I didn't get a new tax bill
when changing titles until the next year. I have heard of some charging
for 1/2 year ownership.

But sales tax, aka titleing tax of 2% herein VA, is collected on any
title transfer, except for gifts among family members. Sometimes you
have to ask for the sales tax releif on family transfers. Even "gift" as
sales price for a non-family transaction will trigger the minimum $35
sales tax fee on title transfer.

Also, while there may be more reasons for transferring title than stated
in your e-mail, if you just want another person to drive your car, just
add them to your insurance policy. I have done this twice when long term
loaning cars to friends. In both cases their records must have been
clean as my insurance did not go up. Not a recomendation, just another
way to do it.

Some localities give half year refunds on decals when you turn them in,
just like the state. Also, a 1994 Honda should have very little personal
property tax since that "no car tax" guy was elected governor a few
years ago. This is political, so no more comments from me unless this
goes to VV-talk!

Frank DuVal