<VV> Re: Sales tax

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Thu Jun 8 05:38:21 EDT 2006

The debate on new vs used parts and taxes is pointless. NY years ago
specifically targeted swap meets in regards to this matter. There is several
large flea markets in the area selling "junk" and antiques, this is big
business and the tax people saw a need for enforcement. They also saw yearly
automotive swap meets growing in size, with national advertising and out of
state vendors doing business. More enforcement...............The law is on
the books and it covers sales of what they refer to as "tangible property",
this covers used car parts. So if Corsa comes into town for a convention,
right in the heart of a city, in a county that are both cash hungry. And
this city has 5 TV network affiliates, and a major metropolitan newspaper,
do you think the convention goes un noticed??????
Do you think Corsa wants NO publicity?????
So if the tax man "does" show up, who is on the hook? The vendor chairman?
Corsa? The convention chairman???? All unanswered questions........so what
do you do? You require compliance.............
According to the law, both sellers, and those making space available to the
sellers could be liable for fines up to $500 a day without the proper tax
collection ID number...................so who wants to shoulder that
responsibility?

There have been taxes in other convention locations that were not collected,
and everyone got off lucky so far........

So everyone is out to shoot the messenger here.................

I hate it, and I live here! I have seen the taxman go after people who have
weekly garage sales all summer as that constitutes a business............and
I have had a friend of mine who runs a huge automotive swap meet in
Lockport, get the riot act read to him by the state, and he now requires tax
ID. Yes, it does scare off some locals who just want to clean out their
garage.......

Gary Swiatowy