<VV> throwing parts

Harry Yarnell hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 13:41:59 EDT 2006

I'm with Smitty; I MUST know what the failure is before replacing parts willy-nilly. (when's the last time you heard that expression?). But sometimes logic gets in the way of practicality.
When you KNOW the problem is confined to two or three parts, it MAY be cheaper (mentally and monetarily) to just replace the suspected parts. Especially if someone else is paying the labor rate. And the suspected parts arn't too expensive.
Case in point: my daughter had (past tense) a '94 Neon that would die every 10 days or so. No restart. It would come back here on a rollback, and would fire right up. I tried every trick I knew to find that problem, but it never showed up for me. Only her. After the forth time, she's ready to dump this POS and move on. I told her if she would consent to throwing $100 at it, would she keep it. Sure!
I went to my favorite salvage yard and, for $100, picked up an intank fuel pump (big mutha), ignition module, and computer. I KNEW one of these was the problem.
Car run fine for the next two years when she traded it on a Mustang. Never could keep that girl in the GM family.

Harry Yarnell
Perryman Garage and Orphanage
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net