<VV> Plastic tube for oil pressure gauge

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 09:27:57 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/7/2006 9:56:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
NicolCS at aol.com writes:

I had  one, and only one, mechanical oil gauge in a Corvair.  It took about
30
seconds to respond to a change in oil pressure, such as shutting the  engine
off.  I also felt that it read a couple of psi low.   (stretch in long
line?).
Low readings at hot idle were always scary  (about 5 psi).  It was kinda fun
shut off the engine and see how  long it took to respond though.  Now I have
electric gauges that  respond instantly.
Craig

Just a thought or two.

I would not run a plastic line that far to a pressure gauge. I'd bet we
would all be surprised at
how much oil could be pumped out of the 1/8 inch line at 30 PSI or so.
Really be fun if the leak were say.... Under the dash. YUCK!

I would run steel tubing just as we do for brake lines. We don't seem to
have any problem
running that the length of the car and they have considerably higher
pressure on them.

I've used mechanical guages on many cars. just not on a Corvair.... yet.
I've used the plastic
stuff that came with the guage a couple of times but never felt totally
comfortable with it.

Of course your electric gauges respond immediately when you turn off the
engine. You are
turning off the electricity to them....  DUH.

Just kidding.

Tim  Abney
Inland Empire Corvair Club