<VV> Ignition Help

Dennis & Debbie PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Sat Jun 10 21:08:48 EDT 2006

The problem was an overheated coil.  I had a chance to work on the brier
today, First I drove it to make sure I could duplicate the problem.  I drove
10 miles at 55 and no problems.  Turned around for home and it started
missing and backfireing, just like it did on the way home from Montrose.  I
then switched the coil back to the balast resistor wire and the I had a
really hard time getting it started and it barely ran.  I then put 12v back
to the coil and it ran much better, but still not driveable.  I then
switched the coil out and it started and ran great.  I switched back to the
resistor wireing on the coil and it still ran great.  I retraced my route of
earlier and it ran great.  I replaced the cap and rotor and it now runs
better than ever.

I don't think the 12v was the problem.  The van has the early shrouding with
the flaps right behind the thermostat controlled outlets which blow hot air
on the coil.  I think the problem was a 90+ degree day and blowing hot air
on the coil which made it fail.  I bent the flap closed.

I'm going to remove the lower shrouds before I pull a pop up tent trailer
across the country.  I don't think it will be a problem as we will only be
starting it up a few times a day and then driving a lot of mile before
shutting it down again.

dp