<VV> Judson Carb advice

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Tue Jun 13 20:18:26 EDT 2006

Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on the carb for my Judson.  I rebuilt my
engine on my 62 sedan with much larger displacement (175 ci or so)
and 260 Cam from Clarks and roller rockers and lots of other cool
stuff.  And with the Judson on there I still have the same problem I
had with the old and tired engine (no surprise) ... I can adjust so
it runs right at low-slow throttle off the line and is starving with
foot-in-it high rpm or I can adjust it so the high rpm works great
and it stumbles/dies off the line.  It is a miserable Holley 94 2
barrel -- nicely rebuilt, but still sort of a pain.  Not very
adjustable either.

I am contemplating using a Holley 390 cfm 4 barrel (the 94 is 300
cfm).  I believe this the carb many use on 140's with center mount
carb and also occasionally for Spyder conversion.  It is very
adjustable.  There is an adapter to adapt the 3-bolt 94 manifold to
the modern 4-bolt Holley pattern.  So it looks like a good idea.

Fat chance -- but has anyone tried this or any other carb on a Judson?

Can anyone tell me how adjustable the 390 is with all the jets,
springs, cams, etc. one can change?  Is it hard?

Do you think it is a good match or a bad match or ????  What are my
odds of success if I dink with it for a few months?

Any (nice) comments appreciated, thanks all!

Eric

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots
of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon and our 62 Spyder convertible.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html