<VV> Air Compressors, smidgen of Corvair

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Wed Jun 14 14:22:35 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Upham" <contactsmu at sbcglobal.net>

> I'm going to need to buy an air compressor for the Corvairium II in
> order to blow dry the parts from the engine that need to be cleaned
> with soap and water and would otherwise rust.  I would like to plan for
> the future > Stephen U
*****
Hi Stephen; me too I agree with getting the biggest air compressor you can
possible afford ... you will find it so so handy for future things that you
haven't thought of yet.... always happens.
**********
I suggest you watch the want ads, used but perfectly good compressors are
pretty common, at roughly half price .   Be absolutely sure you see the unit
running, and watch for leakage on the compressor; take a machine shop guy
with you if possible;  you can always get another motor, but the compressor
should be good and tight, they can be a couple hundred to put new valves in
them, or in the "case" of a pot metal POS, they may be unrepairable.
**********
Regarding voltage, if you get a compressor big enough to be useful, it will
almost for sure be a 220... check the service ( breaker box ) box in your
garage or wherever you will be putting this thing, and open the front of the
case.... if you have a left and right bank of breakers, it is almost for
sure a 220 feed to that breaker box, all ( beware of all ) you have to do is
run a wire from the Left 110 and another from the breaker across from it on
the Right, and you will have 220v.   If you have a 3 or 5 horse motor ( or
more ) it will try to blow your breakers upon startup, so it'[s a good idea
to put the compressor on it's own set of breakers.  Note that with 220
wiring, you have TWO hot wires, and maybe 1 or 2 "ground" wires.  You should
use a special switch to disengage BOTH HOT wires when you turn off the
motor.  .
Its a dangerous trick to hook up wiring while it's "on" or " hot" .. I do it
all the time, but do not recommend you try this at home.  And when you do
turn off the feeder voltage to the box, double check it with a light or
voltmeter anyway ... amazing how things can go wrong.  Oh, and use some
pretty fat wire to your motor... check with your electrical supply people,
they will know how big you need.