<VV> Re: water washing engine parts

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Thu Jun 15 13:18:22 EDT 2006

It appears that I have stirred up a mini-controversy, so let me clarify
a couple of points.  First, when I said "internal parts" I was thinking
of bearing inserts, pistons, rods, etc.  I wasn't thinking of cleaning
up an engine block (or other parts) after machining.  You can't spend
too much time doing the latter.  I know a professional engine builder
(works for Roush) who suggests spending pretty much a full day on block
cleanup.  The advice to use soap and water and compressed air for
cleanup is right on.

What I did want to point out amidst all the air compressor buying advice
was that unfiltered air out of a compressor is NOT dry.  Just ask a
painter.  I use two moisture filters on my compressor and still don't
depend on the air being dry.  If it's a part where a little surface rust
won't matter, I don't worry about it.  Otherwise, I protect the parts
after "blowing" because flash-rust happens fast.  For sheet metal and
cast parts I passivate the surface with Eastwood's Metal Wash.  For
machined parts I use a petroleum based rust-preventative coating.

Dave Keillor