<VV> clutch problen solved !!!!

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 17 13:13:22 EDT 2006

Two things were apparent when I pulled the engine from the transaxle.

   1) The split washer that secures the oil seal had come out and was rattling around - but this couldn't be it!

   2) I removed the pressure plate and disk and found that the mod Vega disk dampening springs retainers were just contacting the flywheel bolts on the edge.  This would be consistent with the clutch pedal noise.

    ''The first 1/3 up from the floor, the disk is not touching the flywheel much, hence no sound. The second third is feathering the clutch and the disk is spinning, contacting the bolt heads. The last 1/3, the disk is fully engaged and no longer turning to contact the bolts''.

   Now, how cum the disk is now touching the bolts when it did not for the first 6,000 miles? The answer is simple-there was no large washer behind the flywheel bolts on the first build! I installed it on this build out of habit. Now the question is:

   Do I carefully just grind a bit off ( maybe .030 -.040) the spring retainers on the Vega disk (or a similar bit off the flywheel bolts) part of one corner actually, or remove the washer and go without it.

   I think a little grind will do the trick as the spring holders only touch the bolt heads for a short tapered section about .300 long and probably might have relieved itself naturally.

   I'll replace the split washer, the seal, the pilot bushing and the TO bearing just to be sure. I DON'T want to pull the engine for another 25 years.

MIKE KOVACS