<VV> Re: crank polishing

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Jun 18 12:57:54 EDT 2006

--

For years the "Chevy Power" books from GM contained a polishing procedure using strips of 400 grit (wet-or-dry?) sandpaper shoelaces and a shoe shine motion.  Bill Jenkin's Chevy engine book contains good advice about polishing Tufftrided cranks

I worked in a shop that did high performance engine work for several years.
We hand polished cranks, etc in a lathe until we got one of those powered belt polishers  like this one. http://www.goodson.com/technical_support/instructions/PCP-1070.pdf
With a fresh belt a tenth or 2 of taper (the limit for good quality work) could be pumped into a journal in no time.  I never used that polisher again.  I would not polish a crank without using a micrometer before, during, and after.

I would not hesitate to use strips of 400 grit or finer paper, pre-dulled by dragging over a clean steel surface (vice anvil, etc).  Directional polishing is important, especially on Tufftrided/nitrided cranks.  Literature states improper polishing direction can tear bearings down to the copper.

--
Dan Timberlake