<VV> Turbos and 3.27 gearing

corvair at mts.net corvair at mts.net
Mon Jun 19 13:29:41 EDT 2006

I had 3.27 in my '63 Spyder coupe (145ci). No problems whatsoever and decent highway mileage was a bonus (28mpg Canadian).

Les
corvair at mts.net
===========

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:46:12 -0400
From: "Robert Hawley" <iamrgh at charter.net>
Subject: <VV> Turbos and 3.27 gearing
To: "virtualvairs \(posts\)" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>

Howdy All, Does anyone have experience with installing 3.27 diff gears vs. the standard 3.55 in
an EM (1963) Spyder convertible/coupe?  I have to have my differential checked because of a
persistent whine while running and have the option of changing ratios at this time.  I realize
that there may be lower highway revs/noise, better gas mileage and that  boost may come on
earlier because the engine is more "loaded" by the taller gearing.  However I am concerned that
the car (a convertible) may be even "doggier" off the line than it is now.

Can anyone tell me what has been your real-life driving experience with this setup?  Would you
recommend the setup to anyone else? Any other considerations or recommendations while doing the
diff R&R?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and answers.  Bob Hawley (CORSA WMCC member) -
1963 Spyder conv