<VV> New Vair Guy on the block

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Mon Jun 19 15:07:12 EDT 2006

Pat,

Welcome to the wonderful world of skinned knuckles and stripped threads.

The advice that Guy Brandes gave you is good.  WD-40 just won't do on 40
year old parts.  PB'laster is what I use, although a product called
Seafoam Deep Creep also has its fans.

Matt Nall is also correct.  Eventually you're going to have to get out
the Vise-Grips, put them on as tight as possible, and push as hard as
you can.

I also used heat from a propane torch when I was replacing the rear
flexible brake hoses.  I can't say for sure that it helped; just
PB'laster and Vise-Grips might have done the trick.

Oh, and don't forget to use some encouraging words while you try to
loosen that flare nut.  Always works for me.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible wonder car
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red (Ret.)
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm